Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Networking and Wi-Fi

Old 06-11-17, 22:34
Established member

Default slow wifi

I have a BTHomeHub 5 with a download speed of 75MB (ethernet) and about 35MB (wifi). I had been watching some youtube videos and for some sudden reason they started buffering and not had this problem for a long time , so I checked my broadband speed, by ethernet the speed is the same at 75MB but the wifi speed had dropped to about 5MB with both Chrome and Firefox. Network wifi adapter is uptodate and tried different channels in the settings of the bt homehub, did a virus check, tcp optimizer but to no avail.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 07-11-17, 08:27
Global Moderator

Default Re: slow wifi

What are they like when using IE or in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Are you able to check the SNR Margin in the BT Hub as when that gets very low, your wireless speeds will suffer.

RouterStats-Lite is a program that can monitor your SNRM if you don't get those stats in the Hub.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/fi...outerstatslite

I've recently had a Wireless NIC replaced in a Win 7 laptop because of similar problems.

I was only ever getting about half the wireless speed (15Mbps) on that one to two other machines on TalkTalk's 38Mbps VDSL package and then it dropped to about 5Mbps while the wired speed remained about the 37Mbps mark.

I'm now getting 28 - 30Mbps on that one after the replacement.

I had other machines to compare wireless speeds so I figured it had to be the NIC - do you have any other devices that use wireless to compare their speeds.
Old 07-11-17, 08:36
Enthusiastic contributor

It could be your hub or your computer. Really the only way to test is by substitution. WiFi, especially in this country where the power is dumbed down to a huge extent, is pretty poor at the best of times. The frequencies that WiFi operates at means that any obstruction, such as a piece of furniture, a wall or even someone between you and the hub can severely weaken the signal. WiFi extenders are rubbish as they, usually, rely on a signal in the place that a wireless signal needs to be extended to. I use a second wireless router connected to my main router via a home hub extender to boost the signal in poor areas around my home. This does mean that I have change my wireless credentials if I move my laptop to that area. Bottom line is that if it works okay on a wire but not wirelessly then it has to be the quality of the wireless signal. Either the hub is faulty or the computer is faulty or you are too far away from the hub or there are a lot of obstructions between your computer and the hub.

Forgot this bit. If your wireless signal is poor then your computer will try to compensate by slowing your internet connection down. That is why you are seeing slow internet speeds. The amount that your internet speeds are being slowed does suggest that your wireless signal is extremely poor. To be honest I find it far better to just use a wire in a lot of instances rather than relying on a wireless signal. That is partly why if you ring your ISP to test an internet connection they will invariably ask you connect to your master socket via an ethernet cable.
Old 09-11-17, 07:10
Established member

The past couple of days my wifi as been its usual 45mb as I am in the same room as my hub , I have made no changes to the computer so I cannot understand how suddenly I got slow wifi and then go back to normal (making no changes) like nothing was wrong in the first place.

Its like making an appointment to see the local GP and when on arriving all is well , Typical.

Thanks for suggestions and advice.
Old 09-11-17, 07:47
Global Moderator

It sounds like it could have been some form of local interference that was lowering the SNRM.

When you are changing channels, you need to know if you are changing them to the best channel.

inSSIDer3 is a useful program for telling you that.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Click on Networks when the right pane has populated and use the Link Score as a guide.