Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Networking and Wi-Fi

Old 20-10-17, 15:14
Top contributor

Default Atheros drivers Information

While working on my homeplug issue (resolved) I have ended up with a section on Windows 10 Start menu called Atheros But the utility within the Link is only a 3rd Party Monitoring App (Power Packet Utility) for the Fitted Homeplugs on the house LAN Showing their MAC Numbers and live Throughput speed about 250 to 300 MBps currently. Can link in New "Secure" Home plugs into the Group with this app. I imagine this information is coming direct off the Atheros Chip sets on the Homeplugs?

Returning to the Atheros Name
Quote:
Qualcomm Atheros is a developer of semiconductors for network communications, particularly wireless chipsets.
This is a driver chipset fitted almost universally to LAN Devices/routers and the drivers themselves are countless !
Thankfully. they are mostly bundled in with the setup installation programs. Woe betide anyone looking for one, for a device which requires a Manual install.I'd always opt for a Wizard lookup and install method
Old 20-10-17, 15:43
Global Moderator

Default Re: Atheros drivers Information

You may want to bookmark this website, but you are right in that for the average user, getting them can be a PITA.

https://www.ath-drivers.eu/atheros-w...s-drivers.html

I'm not sure if this is the Czech site I used to refer to a few years back.
Old 29-10-17, 16:42
Top contributor

Lightbulb Re: Atheros drivers Information

Here is a walkthrough Tutorial with screenshots regards TP-Link for that app re: TP-Link Homeplugs with The Atheros Chips and like I spotted it does allow other makes onto the Network Step #2
Quote:
Step 2 The Utility will detect and list the other powerline adapters in the same power line network in a few seconds. Click and select the Powerline Ethernet Adapter you wish to change from the list, then click on the Modify tab.

I "See" all 4 homeplugs on my Circuit via this app
Only gripe it does not show the individual data flow usage per unit, instead showing the total network data flow usage.
Old 27-11-17, 15:03
Top contributor

I am trying out an Dual Band WiFi Repeater Unit on the LAN to Boost/stabilize the Wifi Signal (albeit slightly) from the room below... also has a RJ45/LAN socket so will that help also?
Only Problem is looking at the Technical Blurb articles these units do not have the Atheros Chipset fitted instead they are mostly Broadcom or Realtek (the Sound Chip people) Chipsets, I do not anticipate a Conflict on the Signals, but on the WinPcap App Will they not be a No Show? Displays the MAC addresses of the Unit >In the case of the Dual Band WiFi Repeater Unit , it was set to use both Bands(2.4 & 5Ghz) then Logically It would show both MAC addresses as opposed to the Homeplugs Single address for 2.4 Ghz(if that makes sense?)
Have no Tutorial /feedback off search engines about testing these units, bar saying: "if the "Lights" Light Up and don't Flash, You are connected !"
They have 5 status lights as opposed to the 3 sometimes, 4 status lights (With Wi-Fi Aerial signal Broadcast) on a Homeplug Unit, Plus they have a Client/ Repeater/Access Point selector switch on the side .Read the Manual for details on these >I probably will be using the Repeater Setting to help boost the signal, and handily they are fitted with an On/off switch too
Old 27-11-17, 15:15
Global Moderator

Unless your computer network adapter has 5GHz capability then there's no point in having a repeater that has 5GHz - it won't pick it up.

inSSIDer3 will display any on 5GHz if yours are compliant.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

My TalkTalk VDSL router has 5GHz default enabled but as my adapters are only 2.4GHz, I've unchecked that box.
Old 29-04-18, 18:25
Top contributor

Update on the Dual Band WiFi Repeater Unit and its good news. Have had a few Tablets/mobiles in our house and they are picking up the signal from this device on the 2.4 MHZ band/54 MBps Speed is rated as "Excellent" So unwittingly I have made a free WiFi Hotspot...Shows on their detection lists as PowerPoint (No other details)