Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 10-01-18, 23:50
Passionate member

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

Changing from BT as it has just got too expensive and they won't negotiate. Looking at Talk Talk - 25 for 29-39 mbps, unlimited downloads/uploads, unlimited anytime landline calls and unlimited calls to mobiles from the landline, free router and no setup charge. Just worried about record of outages - every day from a few minutes to an hour or so.

Any experiences of reliability - Lancashire or elsewhere?
Old 11-01-18, 08:09
Global Moderator

I used to get the odd overnight disconnects on my TT ADSL but since I upgraded to their 38Mbps Fibre package, it has been rock solid.

Wireless speeds can vary but wired speeds are constant.

The unlimited calls package, are you talking about the anytime boost ?

They are free but only for the first 59mins where you will need to redial if you want to continue with the free call.
Old 11-01-18, 11:21
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I used to get the odd overnight disconnects on my TT ADSL but since I upgraded to their 38Mbps Fibre package, it has been rock solid.

Wireless speeds can vary but wired speeds are constant.

The unlimited calls package, are you talking about the anytime boost ?

They are free but only for the first 59mins where you will need to redial if you want to continue with the free call.
Thanks for that. I'm happy with the 59 mins limit because paying 30 less to TT allows me to get 2 anytime mobile deals from Carphone Warehouse to replace our 2 old Nokia's that don't even have a camera.

However, BT have now taken 20 off so I've got a decision to make.

They only offer the Samsung J3 2016 or 2017 on their mobile deals. Any other recommendations - we don't do social media, music downloads or film downloads.
Old 11-01-18, 11:52
Global Moderator

I can't make any recommendations as to mobile phones as I don't have one.

I'm the same as you as to my use of broadband, except that I will occasionally watch BBC iPlayer.

I've been with TT since I first went online in 2010 and I'm still with them, but sometimes it's best to stay with the Devil that you know - see if you can get BT to knock another tenner off by telling them what you will save by changing to TT
Old 11-01-18, 13:02
Passionate member

Yes done that but they offered to upgrade to BT Infinity @ 38 Mbps and took the 20 off so they're just 10 more than TT now but the mobile SIM charges are less, so if the Samsung phones are OK I may just stay!
Old 11-01-18, 13:27
Global Moderator

Better the Devil you know

Does the cheaper SIM offset the additional tenner ?
Old 11-01-18, 15:59
Passionate member

Not completely but that's what I would be paying for the extra speed and bandwidth (from "up to" 12 mbps (5.5 actual) and 17GB/mth) and for avoiding having to change my BT email addresses or pay an extra 5/mth to keep them. So it's a fine balance. Against BT is that landline calls to mobiles are 30p+ per minute to mobiles unless they are BT mobiles, but I don't know anyone with a BT SIM!

The Carphone mobile SIM is 3.99/mth, only 500mb of data but unused amounts roll over.
Old 11-01-18, 16:24
Global Moderator

For the anytime boost for the free calls I normally would pay 7.50/month but I have a current discount so just pay a fiver for that.

With TT you wouldn't have any call charges other than what you would pay for the anytime boost.

For the amount I use my landline, I'm probably out of pocket, but one month when I cancelled, I had over 11 worth of calls to pay for - so I suppose it's a kind of insurance.

On TT's 38Mbps Fibre package I get 28 - 32Mbps wireless and ~37.6Mbps wired.

I currently get their Fibre package at half price (5.00) for the duration of my contract and together with the anytime boost and line rental, I pay 32.00/month.

Their prices may be different for their current Fibre package, but they did have a Fibre connection charge which in some promotions was free.

This is what TT seem to be offering for their ADSL broadband - https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/mk/

I used to use my TT email addresses but have since moved to gmail where I haven't had any spam, although you have to have a TT one for your account.

I'm not trying to sell you TT's unlimited broadband, but a Google for best broadband should give you a comparison list of ISPs.
Old 12-01-18, 19:59
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I've been with TalkTalk since 2010 and am currently on their 38Mbps Fibre package.

I also have their anytime call boost where I can use mobile numbers, 01, 02 and 03 numbers free for up to 59mins for a small additional cost and Caller Display which is free.
Hello Cantrel.....looking at the talk talk site.....for ibstance there is a package for 25.95. Does this include line rental...and what does it mean ref the tv boxes ? Im happy with my freeview box but does it mean you have to take a new box with the TV channels in the ad ? I wouldnt mind a couple of them if this box replaces my freeview one.
Old 12-01-18, 20:17
Global Moderator

It isn't compulsory to take them - I use a Freeview Plus box with a Samsung Smart TV which I can connect to the Internet for some channels but haven't tried them out yet - too busy.

It probably will mean a new box but I'd phone TT on 0800 0499999 and get some details from them as well as any offers.

However, I wouldn't have thought that you would get broadband and the tv box for just 25.95 but I could be wrong.