Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 08-01-18, 10:52
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Which Broadband provider ?

Which provider is everybody with ?
Old 08-01-18, 11:46
Highly valued member

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

BT - although I am currently considering my options.
Old 08-01-18, 11:53
Global Moderator

I've been with TalkTalk since 2010 and am currently on their 38Mbps Fibre package.

I also have their anytime call boost where I can use mobile numbers, 01, 02 and 03 numbers free for up to 59mins for a small additional cost and Caller Display which is free.
Old 12-01-18, 19:59
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I've been with TalkTalk since 2010 and am currently on their 38Mbps Fibre package.

I also have their anytime call boost where I can use mobile numbers, 01, 02 and 03 numbers free for up to 59mins for a small additional cost and Caller Display which is free.
Hello Cantrel.....looking at the talk talk site.....for ibstance there is a package for 25.95. Does this include line rental...and what does it mean ref the tv boxes ? Im happy with my freeview box but does it mean you have to take a new box with the TV channels in the ad ? I wouldnt mind a couple of them if this box replaces my freeview one.
Old 12-01-18, 20:17
Global Moderator

It isn't compulsory to take them - I use a Freeview Plus box with a Samsung Smart TV which I can connect to the Internet for some channels but haven't tried them out yet - too busy.

It probably will mean a new box but I'd phone TT on 0800 0499999 and get some details from them as well as any offers.

However, I wouldn't have thought that you would get broadband and the tv box for just 25.95 but I could be wrong.
Old 12-01-18, 21:05
Enthusiastic contributor

The 25.95 deal (29-40 Mbps fibre) includes unlimited BB, line rental, free Router, no postal, setup or activation charges. Unlimited 24/7 calls (to landlines and mobiles from a landline) and Caller Display are normally 8.30 but are currently included if you push a bit. All prices are fixed until 2 June 2019.

The same deal but with standard BB at up to17mbps is 18.95, but if you check outages you find they have daily faults in one area or another on the standard BB.

My daughter is urging me to stay with BT as TT has a reputation for faults, poor service and customer data breaches, though that may be historic and Cantrel's experience of the 38mbps service is very good.

I can't shift BT below 26.99 for up to 38Mbps BB, 30GB cap, + 9.50 for anytime calls to landlines/BT mobiles, 1/2 price calls to other mobiles. New router is free but delivery normally 9.99 and activation 50. January Sale cuts activation to 20 and I was offered they might waive the postage. So currently 36.49 for BT with a cap and calls to most mobiles charged at 1/2 price, and possibly 29.99 upfront charges.

So BT could be a good deal if you don't want landline calls or are happy with the cap. Main worry I suppose is they won't touch a fixed price for the length of the contract as TT do, so that pretty much guarantees the 36.49 will increase significantly every few months!
Old 12-01-18, 21:23
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
It isn't compulsory to take them - I use a Freeview Plus box with a Samsung Smart TV which I can connect to the Internet for some channels but haven't tried them out yet - too busy.

It probably will mean a new box but I'd phone TT on 0800 0499999 and get some details from them as well as any offers.

However, I wouldn't have thought that you would get broadband and the tv box for just 25.95 but I could be wrong.
According to money supermarket.com the basic package rental and broadband is 18.95.

Maybe i am wrong about the 25.95 but im not that bothered either.

Ive got a couple of weeks left on my bt. Ive only ever changed company once before years ago when i cancelled orange. Do i need to get a macc code and what else do you need to do.?
Old 08-01-18, 11:57
Enthusiastic contributor

My renewal is due soon. With BT.

For the last few years, I've paid my line rental up front and monthly for my broadband which is capped at 12gb.. plenty for me I only use about half that at the most....for about 6 quid a month or so.

I'm not bothered about BT Sport etc as I am hardly home, and as for speed what I have is fast enough for me, which is pretty fast anyway.

I've just got a feeling that the deal I've renewed for the past few years might not be available or may have gone up like everything else lately so weighing up my options before I phone them.

There doesn't seem to be so many doing it these days, if WU magazine price comparision is anything to go by.
Old 08-01-18, 11:59
Enthusiastic contributor

Having said that.... I COULD be tempted by paying a bit more to get football live on my PC on a saturday afternoon.....
Old 08-01-18, 12:08
Global Moderator

With TalkTalk downloads are unlimited whichever package you take.