Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Open Forum

Old 21-02-18, 02:44
Top contributor

Default Donald Trump is considered the WORST president in history

Not really a surprise. This story is from the MailOnline:

Donald Trump is considered the worst president in history | Daily Mail Online

I expect he'll allege that this is 'fake news'.
Old 21-02-18, 09:51
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Donald Trump is considered the WORST president in history

Well coming from the Daily mail it could well be fake news. But in this instance I will have to agree with a newspaper that I would never read.
Old 22-02-18, 00:53
Top contributor

It's mentioned elsewhere too - The New York times also has the survey:

Opinion | How Does Trump Stack Up Against the Best and Worst Presidents? - The New York Times
Old 22-02-18, 07:02
Highly valued member

Looking at the Chart I noted the following methodology.

Methodology: Each expert was invited to rate each president on a 0-100 scale, with 0 = failure, 50 = average, and 100 = great. Scores were then averaged for each president, with presidents then ranked in order of highest average to lowest.

How can you get any expert, ( who were these people, what makes them experts in this field?), who is not biased in favour or not of one or the other of the Presidents? How can they assess that Lincoln was number one, on what grounds, they were not even alive when he was about, as were many of the others who head the list. Absolute rubbish in my opinion as far as being a valid list.

fosseway
Old 22-02-18, 10:09
Enthusiastic contributor

I agree with you. They do not say by what criteria they are making their assessments. Most of the ones with poor ratings were presidents within living memory, which tells me that the more you know about people at the top, the less you like them. But then we knew that anyway. Oxfam? University Vice Chancellors? Bishops? Politicians? "Good" legends rule!

It's a contradiction of the famous speech by Antonio in Julius Caesar:

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen- lend me your ears.I come to bury Caesar not to praise him. The evil that men do lives on; the good is oft interred with their bones."

There are two types of people - those who remember the good times and those who remember the bad ones. The glass half full/glass half empty people
Old 22-02-18, 10:49
Highly valued member

My feelings exactly FWF.

Trump may not ring everybody's bell and I often frown on a good bit of what he says and sometimes does.

But individuals can't be surveyed on how good or not a president is who is not even half way through his first term and in fact Trump is only just over 12 months of his first term. So how can anybody judge how good or not he has been when he's not far off just starting.

A good president can only be judged on what he has achieved for his country after he has served. He was elected President of the USA by his own people using their system which seems to have worked very well for them until some don't like the results enough, or perhaps somebody doesn't like the results enough to stir people up using things like surveys and media.

Lets not also forget the powerful people who won't like a president who they can not manipulate with money. The bitter grudge that the Clinton's will be harbouring and I suspect the Obama's plus a good few other politicians both in the US and further a field he will have more than his fair share in the EU alone. Also the industrialist who Trump will have for enemies from his Trump Industries activity.

I once had a boss who was a bit like Trump, most hated him and nobody really liked him. We used to take the mickey and some of us did so to his face, 'cos you could talk straight to him despite everything else. There use to be all sorts of management style theories floating around but we used to say he had invented his own which was 'Management by Megalomania'.

If something wasn't right or had stagnated into a mud of getting nowhere. He would come in and stamp around be totally none PC and unpleasant, poking his nose into everything when he didn't even understand the problems and difficulties. Funny though how pretty soon after that what was a stagnated project there would be ideas flowing and worker coordination suddenly getting things moving again.

Nothing happened with North Korea for 60 years, 1948 was the start of the unrest and division which culminated in the Korean War. Successive presidents have pussy footed around too afraid to actually stand nose to nose with N.Korea leaders. They all came and went with N.Korean threats just getting worse. Trump hasn't been in office 18 months yet and look how things have moved there and perhaps we can all rest a bit easier not just the US.

If he is allowed to complete a term let the judgements take place when the Trump dust has settled in the same way this so called survey given grace to all the other completed term presidents.
Old 22-02-18, 13:13
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
My feelings exactly FWF.

Trump may not ring everybody's bell and I often frown on a good bit of what he says and sometimes does.

But individuals can't be surveyed on how good or not a president is who is not even half way through his first term and in fact Trump is only just over 12 months of his first term. So how can anybody judge how good or not he has been when he's not far off just starting.

A good president can only be judged on what he has achieved for his country after he has served. He was elected President of the USA by his own people using their system which seems to have worked very well for them until some don't like the results enough, or perhaps somebody doesn't like the results enough to stir people up using things like surveys and media.

Lets not also forget the powerful people who won't like a president who they can not manipulate with money. The bitter grudge that the Clinton's will be harbouring and I suspect the Obama's plus a good few other politicians both in the US and further a field he will have more than his fair share in the EU alone. Also the industrialist who Trump will have for enemies from his Trump Industries activity.

I once had a boss who was a bit like Trump, most hated him and nobody really liked him. We used to take the mickey and some of us did so to his face, 'cos you could talk straight to him despite everything else. There use to be all sorts of management style theories floating around but we used to say he had invented his own which was 'Management by Megalomania'.

If something wasn't right or had stagnated into a mud of getting nowhere. He would come in and stamp around be totally none PC and unpleasant, poking his nose into everything when he didn't even understand the problems and difficulties. Funny though how pretty soon after that what was a stagnated project there would be ideas flowing and worker coordination suddenly getting things moving again.

Nothing happened with North Korea for 60 years, 1948 was the start of the unrest and division which culminated in the Korean War. Successive presidents have pussy footed around too afraid to actually stand nose to nose with N.Korea leaders. They all came and went with N.Korean threats just getting worse. Trump hasn't been in office 18 months yet and look how things have moved there and perhaps we can all rest a bit easier not just the US.

If he is allowed to complete a term let the judgements take place when the Trump dust has settled in the same way this so called survey given grace to all the other completed term presidents.
And there you have the crux of the matter as far as us "outsiders"are concerned. If his silly jibes at the Kim Jong Un (and he is just as bad) do not start a war all well and good. But if the idiocy from both sides starts something then 25 million people on the Korean peninsula will die. As will many millions of others across the globe.

I sincerely hope your's and Trump's reading of the situation is correct. I have to say that asking to "give the man a chance" when that man thinks that the answer to gun crime is arm teachers is niave in the extreme.
Old 22-02-18, 13:48
Highly valued member

I didn't claim it to be my reading, I am making the point that you can't compare achievements of a currently serving President with those who have completed one or more full terms and especially one who has only served just over twelve months.

Kennedy took the decision to play chicken with Russia over the Cuban missile crisis, it was actually fingers on nuclear buttons for 13 days and the Russians were not bluffing their capabilities either. If that stand off exchange of threats hadn't paid off it was the whole western world that would have been annihilated.

Kennedy played chicken with the whole world but because it went his way he is revered as one if not the best presidents in history.

Funny though isn't it, it was Russia who stood down but Kennedy is given the credit of a great president and preserving world peace when in reality Russia were only mimicking the US who had nuclear missile bases placed strategically all around Russia. They do the same in one location near the US and Kennedy takes us within a hairs breath of WW3 but the actually peace makers are reviled as war mongers and Kennedy is a great president.

Besides all of that Lincoln and Washington top the list but there was nowhere near the international problems and challenges in those days. Plus they lived around two centuries ago so how can anybody living possibly compare criteria of that period to present day, further how could people of the present day even judge if they were good or bad. Who actually penned the signature for second amendment was that a cretin or a great person. Never the less each successive so called great president has not had the bottle to change the second amendment one iota but it seems it is now being use to pressure and revile Trump.
Old 23-02-18, 14:45
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline
I expect he'll allege that this is 'fake news'.
Hehe your very smart Madeline!!

I reckon he will!!
Old 23-02-18, 16:46
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Funny though isn't it, it was Russia who stood down but Kennedy is given the credit of a great president and preserving world peace when in reality Russia were only mimicking the US who had nuclear missile bases placed strategically all around Russia. They do the same in one location near the US and Kennedy takes us within a hairs breath of WW3 but the actually peace makers are reviled as war mongers and Kennedy is a great president
Was Russia the only one who stood down? I seem to remember that there was a trade off, Russia backed off from Cuba and USA removed their nuclear weapons from Turkey, Correct me if I'm wrong,

Bill.