Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 20-12-17, 13:16
Global Moderator

Default Re: Win 10 Product Key

You could transfer the snip from your Pictures folder on the Netbook to your PC's Pictures folder via something like a flashdrive.

Right click on the snip picture and select Copy then click on your USB drive in the left pane of Windows Explorer then right click on that drive and select Paste.

You could then do a Copy & Paste from the USB drive to the PC's Pictures folder.
Old 21-12-17, 09:39
Established member

Thanks Cantrel, I'll give it a try. It seems well within my capabilities
ericg
Old 21-12-17, 09:45
Global Moderator

I can't remember if I've suggested this but have you checked to see if the Netbook will connect when wired in Safe Mode with Networking ?
Old 21-12-17, 13:40
Established member

Hi Cantrel, I will try your Safemode withNetworking as you suggest. In the meantime I hope I have attached the Device manager image as you requested though I cannot see any indication that it is attached. The image is in My Pictures so I can easily resend if necessary
ericg
Old 21-12-17, 14:14
Established member

Question Re: Win 10 Product Key

Hi Cantrel, Not sure about "Safe Mode" with or without Networking (I have never ever had to use "Safe Mode" in about 13 years of using XP and Win 7. I connected the Netbook by the Ethernet cable and tried to establish a connection. Previous attempts had always finished up with Error 651. This time the message was "You are connected to the Internet " with an option to Browse. Unfortunately nothing happened- no browsing. I went back to my desktop which has Google and BBC icons. Tried both without success!
ericg
Old 21-12-17, 16:18
Global Moderator

Did you have your Netbook still switched on when you were unable to browse on the PC ?

If so then that sounds like DHCP IP address conflict where both machines are being assigned the same IP address

If you are using an ISP supplied router, you should have what looks like a pin hole on the back.

Switch off both the PC and Netbook and pressing something like a straightened paperclip or darning needle in there for about 30 secs should factory reset the router, but if in doubt, contact your ISP for how to factory reset it.

When the router has all of its lights back on, switch on the Netbook to see if it connects and then try the PC.

If I've misunderstood you, a router factory reset won't harm anything but will refresh the connection.

To go into Safe Mode with Networking on a Win 10 machine, press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart.

Click on Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Startup Settings - Restart.

You use the F keys to make your selection for whichever mode you want - it's F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Win 10 auto disables wireless in that mode which is why you need to wire up, although you can physically connect to wireless.

To try both wired and wireless in that mode, disconnect the Ethernet cable and press CTRL+ALT+DEL together.

Click on the wireless icon, click on your SSID then on Connect.

Left click away from that pane to cancel it then click on Cancel where you should see the wireless icon without any crosses etc.

Let us know how you get on with those.
Old 24-12-17, 10:50
Established member

Question Re: Win 10 Product Key

Hi Cantrel, an apology. In my reply of 21:12 at 15:14 I may have confused you. I stated that I received a reply "You are connected to the internet" but was unable to browse via the offered choice. I then went back to the Netbook desktop , NOT the PC desktop, but clicking the Google or the BBC icon was no use either.
I will follow your guidance on Safe Mode with Networking and see how I get on.
Regarding my Router it is the Virgin supplied Super Hub. I have looked carefully for a reset pinhole without success. My virgin router booklet refers to restarting the hub by turning it and the PC off for a minute or two then turning on the router followed by the PC a minute later. Is this a factory reset?
Finally I tried to send you an image of the device manager window by snipping and transferring it with a memory stick to the PC pictures folder. Did you receive it? I can send it again (though it is not obvious that it is attached unlike the usual Virgin email system.
ericg
Old 24-12-17, 11:39
Global Moderator

Still no image attached.

I'll PM you with my email address to see if you can attach it in an email.

Switching off the Hub and computer for a couple of mins and with all cables removed is known as a Power Cycle and not a factory reset.

It can be effective if no connection but as you are getting you are connected to the Internet then see if you can browse after running IE without add-ons.

Press the Windows key +r and in the Run box type iexplore.exe -extoff then press enter.

A window will open telling you that add-ons are disabled - click on the home page icon to see if you can browse.

Last edited by Cantrel; 24-12-17 at 13:39.