Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 12-12-17, 11:33
Global Moderator

Default Re: Win 10 Product Key

The cmd netcfg -d will reset all network adapters, but right click on the Start button and select Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and look for any yellow alerts or Unknown Devices, but run the netcfg -d cmd followed by shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot first.
Old 13-12-17, 11:33
Established member

Question Re: Win 10 Product Key

Hi Cantrel, you assume too much of a simple user. I have removed Avast from the Netbook since I could not get on line. Via the speaker icon I tried to reconnect to the web without success. via the trouble shooting link I received message either "no connection within range" (one foot from the router!!) or "A network cable is not plugged in or may be broken" What cable could that be?
So if I want to Ethernet connect the netbook to the router, do need to turn off the router first or can I simply unplug the Ethernet connection from the PC and plug into the netbook then try again for an internet connection. I am really not into electronic arm wrestling and have no wish to do anything to my Win 7 PC system, hence my need for simple guidance.
ericg
Old 13-12-17, 12:01
Global Moderator

You can just plug the Ethernet cable straight in.

The speaker/volume icon won't get you connected - click on the wireless icon.

As for a wireless connection, is wireless enabled on the laptop - will be a F key and may need to combo FN+F#

It's F8 on mine and is denoted by an antenna on the key.

Are you using Win 7 or Win 10 on that machine as the netcfg -d cmd is only applicable to Win 10.

Have a look in Device Manager to see if you have any yellow alerts or Unknown Devices.

Regardless of which version of Windows you are using, go Start - type devmgmt.msc and press enter then when Device Manager opens, click on View then on Show hidden devices.

If no yellow alerts, red crosses, black downward pointing arrows or Unknown Devices, reinstalling the Network adapters can sometimes resolve.

A black downward pointing arrow denotes that driver is disabled and is resolved by right clicking on it and selecting Enable.

Expand Network adapters, right click on the wireless one and select Uninstall device - but do not check the box to include the software.

You can then either click on Action/Scan for hardware changes where the driver will reinstall or simply close Device Manager and reboot where you'll see Windows reinstalling the driver.

If using Win 10 when you click on the wireless icon, ensure that WiFi is highlighted and not Flight mode.
Old 15-12-17, 15:30
Established member

Hi Cantrel, I have plugged Ethernet cable into netbook. I now get a TV with pitchfork icon (and a message "virgin media internet access") instead of the radio waves with star and a message "connections are available". This seemed promising but still unable access Google or BBC.
To Device Manager (icons very small on net book but "Network adaptors" seem OK but Display Adaptors IDE ATA/ATAP controllers and storage controllers all seem to have a yellow triangle with a tiny piece just visible below the icon base. I opened the "Network adaptors" and uninstalled the wireless adaptor. I closed the device manager and the netbook removed the Ethernet connection and restarted the netbook. No improvement , still the radio waves with star icon.
What now??
ericg
Old 16-12-17, 00:54
Global Moderator

Can you right click on the ones with yellow triangles and select Update driver and use the default search online to see if it finds any updated drivers ?

When you click on the wireless icon, for your SSID does it give the option to Disconnect or Connect ?

When you click on that icon can you also ensure that WiFi at the bottom is not greyed out.

If still no wireless connection then right click on the wireless icon and select Troubleshoot problems to see what it reports.
Old 17-12-17, 12:11
Established member

Hi Cantrel followed your instructions for all three yellow triangles. All gave either "Scan for hardware changes" and produced no action, just returned to Device Manager Screen or "Properties" which just a window with a "General" tab.
No sign of any "Update Driver" option, but how could I without an online connection.
Clicking on the wireless icon gives "not connected connections are available" which gives "Network Sharing Centre" where I have been many times without success or Troubleshooting problems" Clicking here results eventually in a final message either "a network cable is either not plugged in or is broken (with a yellow triangle) or else "You have no preferred network" with a red cross icon.
Network sharing centre and making a connection requires me to enter an 8 letter pass phrase and a SSID identity which is virginmedia followed by a 7 digit code. then "connect" I finish up with "cannot connect" and error 651
I am taking up a lot of your time to no avail so far!!
ericg
Old 17-12-17, 18:11
Global Moderator

Don't worry about taking up my time - I come on here to help

What have you tried so far of my suggestions - I need to know to see what the result was.

Without going back through your thread, I think you've already tried some of the ones in this article but work your way through them again.

http://www.geeksgyaan.com/2015/04/fix-error-651.html

Sorry, forgot you didn't have an Internet connection so you wouldn't be able to use the search online option.

Instead, you could reinstall the drivers by a different method.

Right click on the device and select Properties and under the Driver tab check the date of the driver.

Right click on them again and select Update Driver - Browse my computer - Let me pick....

You may be presented with a window where you will need to scroll down to the relevant section or it could take you straight to the adapter.

If there's more than one to choose from, then click on each in turn then on Next.

Close up Device Manager and reboot for effect.

If that doesn't do it then repeat the process with any others that are listed.

Can you post a pic of your Device Manager showing those yellow triangles.
Old 19-12-17, 11:24
Established member

Hi Cantrel, As you asked for I attach an image of the device manager page showing the yellow triangles. I hope I have attached it. I see no indication that I have attached it. I may need more guidance (I photographed the Netbook page with a DSLR camera then downloaded onto this PC and reduced it to fit with the 97kb target size giving a slightly pixillated image)
ericg
Old 19-12-17, 12:58
Global Moderator

No pic attached.

You can either use PRTSC (Print Screen) and Paint or the Snipping Tool.

I normally use the Snipping Tool.

Open Device Manager and expand the sections that have the alerts then go Start and type snipping then press enter when it comes up.

Click on New then place your cursor to the top left and drag the red line around what you want to capture.

Click on File then on SaveAs - give it a name and Save then close the window.

Scroll to below the Reply box and click on Manage Attachments where a window will open - expand that window.

Click on Browse then on your Picture folder and then on your saved pic - Open.

Click on Upload where you'll see it has from the blue link below the Browse boxes.

Minimize that window, place the cursor in the reply box where you want the pic attached then click on the paperclip dropdown then on your pic and that will then appear in your post.

I'm not very well at the moment so my visits to the forum could be sporadic.
Old 20-12-17, 11:02
Established member

Hi Cantrel, Sorry to hear your are not too well. Not to worry, this is only a minor problem, no rush, wait until after Xmas if you wish
Re image you requested, I snip things regularly but I am communicating with you on my PC. The device manager is on my Netbook, so how can I transfer the device manager image from the netbook to the PC- Webusers Forum,
ericg