Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 07-12-17, 09:33
Established member

Question Win 10 Product Key

I have a Acer Aspire Netbook, bought second hand, and with a spare hand written CD "Win 7 Starter Edition" but no product key information. I updated from Win 7 to Win 10 when the update was free. For what I use the Netbook for I would like to revert to Win 7. Is it possible to extract the product key under these circumstances and use it to revert to Win 7 using the above mentioned disc.
A convoluted story but any help gratefully received. If nothing can be done , so be it!
ericg
Old 07-12-17, 09:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Win 10 Product Key

Can you not ask the original owner from whom you bought it for the product key.
Old 07-12-17, 11:39
Passionate member

Showkeyplus claims to do this for you.
Download from here:
https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus

Instructions
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fin...ng-windows-10/
Old 07-12-17, 16:02
Familiar face

If the Acer device had W7 installed originally, the Windows product key should be on a printed label underneath and that will entitle you to a free installation. If not, Piriform do software called "Speccy" which gives you all kinds of info.
Old 07-12-17, 16:22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bally1001 View Post
If the Acer device had W7 installed originally, the Windows product key should be on a printed label underneath and that will entitle you to a free installation. If not, Piriform do software called "Speccy" which gives you all kinds of info.
The key that is on the sticker of an OEM branded machine is not a retail key and will not be valid for a Win 7 reinstall.

You may be able to buy recovery disks from Acer to factory reset it.

Any key that Speccy gives for this machine will only be a generic key and currently for Win 10.
Old 08-12-17, 10:16
Established member

Thumbs down Re: Win 10 Product Key

Hi All, thanks for your thoughts
Alanrood- original owner no help, Acer bought without box-

Bally 1001, no labelling on the netbook- was it on the original packaging, who knows?
Cantrel, wise words as always. Probably not worth the expense to buy recovery discs, even if I knew how to use them!
Unfortunately I cannot log onto the net at the moment. Trying to follow on line instruction using my PC but without success. I may have to consult the gurus!!
ericg
Old 08-12-17, 14:35
Global Moderator

Try to see if you can connect in Safe Mode with Networking as it could be the installed antivirus program that is blocking the connection.

I assume you can neither connect wireless or wired ?

I'd also check Event Viewer to see if some networking service is reported as not started or other DHCP problem.

I assume you have checked the status of the network adapters in Device Manager by right clicking on them and selecting Properties ?

You could also try resetting the network adapters by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and entering these cmds to see if you can get a connection after the reboot.

netcfg -d

shutdown /r /t 00

You may have to manually connect to the SSID via the wireless icon in the system tray.

I bought recovery media for two of my Toshiba laptops and all you need to do is to change the boot order and stick the disk in then follow any prompts.

A recovery disk for one machine cost about 30 and for the other one, they sent it on a 16GB USB stick which was about 40.

You will have to sit through the Win 7 updates as well as uninstall the bloat and then put back any 3rd party programs - as well as updating Adobe and Java.

Toshiba tend to come with the 30 day trial version of McAffee which I dump prior to installing my Norton Security.
Old 10-12-17, 13:19
Established member

Question Re: Win 10 Product Key

Hi Cantrel, I should have explained that I am getting a message Error 651 when I try to make an internet connection with the Netbook. Going on line with my PC suggests it is a driver fault. What way do you suggest to correct this fault. Can I download a driver update program (such as Talent Driver)on to a stick and plug in to the Net book and let it work its magic??
Thanks for your previous message. I have snipped and copied it for future use though much of it is beyond me. Like many people I am a computer user (10+ years) without any idea of its inner workings. I have never needed to boot in Safe Mode, use Command Prompt or looked inside Device Manager, nor do I know of DHCP or SSID. Ignorance can be bliss-sometimes but obviously not now.
Thanks as always
ericg
Old 10-12-17, 14:57
Global Moderator

I've never come across that error code before but I'd leave driver updater programs alone.

When troubleshooting a connectivity problem it's best to Ethernet connect to side step any possible wireless problems.

Win 10 auto disables wireless when Ethernet connected and in Safe Mode with Networking.

Which antivirus program is installed ?

To eliminate an AV program, you would boot into Safe Mode with Networking via the advanced boot options.

To get there in Win 10, press and hold Shift throughout a restart until you get the Choose an option window.

Click on Troubleshoot then on Advanced options and then on Start-up Settings

Click on Restart then F5 - you'll now be in Safe Mode with Networking.

To return to normal mode - just go Start - Restart.

If you can connect in that mode then it's most likely a 3rd party antivirus program.

If it isn't obvious which AV program is being used then go Start - type appwiz.cpl and press enter then scroll through the programs, as much to check if there is more than one AV program installed.

If you can't connect either wired or wireless then it's unlikely to be both drivers.

Are you using another computer to post - this will tell me that it isn't the router and the problem is computer specific.

To access a Command Prompt (Admin) in Win 10 - right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (Admin) and enter the netcfg and shutdown commands as in my previous post.

If you still cannot connect after the reboot then open the Command Prompt (Admin) again and enter these cmds -

netsh winsock reset

netsh reset resetlog.txt

shutdown /r /t 00

and check again.

If still no connection then go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Right click on the Ethernet adapter and select Properties.

Uncheck the box for (TCP/IPv6) then click on (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties.

I want you to click on the bottom radio button and enter the same numbers as I have in mine - these are Level Three DNS servers.

The top radio button for Obtain an IP address automatically should also be checked.

That will clear anything in those boxes.

After you have entered those numbers, check the box for Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that will invoke the troubleshooter.

If you can't read the numbers in the pic, they are in the top row - 209.244.0.3 and 209.244.0.4 in the lower row.

That should report cannot find any problems normally but let me know what it reports for you.

See how you get on with those steps - if no go then we'll have to see what Event Viewer has recorded and perhaps if Device Manager is as it should be, but for now you have enough to do.

Tms DNS.jpg
Old 12-12-17, 10:27
Established member

Thanks Cantrel, it all looks overwhelming but I will try my best, your notes all snipped and printed for use
I am using Avast Free
Error 651 much referenced in Google, appearing to be driver corruption, hence my comments
ericg