Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 10-01-18, 18:07

Default Window updates not configuring

Around Windows 10 Creators update release , updates have been downloading on my laptop but when configuring it never leaves 0%. We then have had to turn the laptop off despite the message not to.
My questions if (1) - how to fix this problem ?
(2) - how to perform all the updates in last 3 months all in one go ?
Any help appreciated.

Patrick Saunders
Old 10-01-18, 21:45
Global Moderator

Default Re: Window updates not configuring

In Windows Update have you clicked on Troubleshoot and then on the one for Windows Update to see what it reports.

Which antivirus are you using - it may be prudent to disable that if the troubleshooter doesn't resolve.

While the Troublesshooter will reset the Windows Update components, you can do that manually with these cmds run from a Command Prompt (Admin)

Drag your mouse over them to highlight and select Copy and then Paste to the cmd prompt and press enter if need be.

They will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

The SoftwareDistribution one will clear your update history but not affect already installed updates.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot and then try the updates again if required.
Old 18-01-18, 11:23
Established member

Talking Re: Window updates not configuring

My last update also failed.
I disabled every bit of hardware, no change.

Then realised my very expensive Epson film scanner was getting old, so I uninstalled the software and BINGO, The Fall Update installed immediately.

Bummer! and two fingers up to Epson for not updating the drivers.

Summary

Look for old programs, drivers and uninstall them.

Try downloading the update to a USB and run it from within windows - much faster.

Meester Chris
Don't all shout at once
Old 25-01-18, 19:42

Thanks for your replies.
I ran TroubleShooter for Windows Update - and it reported Corrupt Registry keys ans Something about pending updates. It stated it had fixed these problems but when I ran it again it reported same problems!!.
The Windows Update Service : wuauserv Service refused to stop. I tried it under cmd and Windows Services GUI both as administrator . Both occasions it timed out. I could not find a reason for this despite looking in Event Logs.
Therefore - (I assume) the rename commands of SoftwareDistribution and catroot directories failed as it reported they were in use by a programe!
Any ideas how to get wuauserv service to stop or find out why it is not stopping ??
As a side issue - Do you know how to find all the Posts and replies that I have posted in the past. I have only posted around 4 posts under Windows 10 help but I can't find them. I have tried searching on pats02 but it only found one of them ??
Thanks
Old 25-01-18, 20:52
Global Moderator

Windows update is still trying to work if they are reported as being in use.

Boot up into Safe Mode where they will stop and you could try those cmds in that mode.

You'll get some error messages about either they are not started or cannot be in that mode, but you will be able to rename SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 to .old

Enter exit to close the cmd window and the back arrow to shut down and then reboot and do a manual check for updates to see how they go.

As Windows updates are quite persistent in Win 10 then I don't think a revertpendingactions cmd would stop the updates for very long, but if you want to try it, then boot into the advanced boot options and select Command Prompt and enter this cmd, but those cmds done in Safe Mode will have done the job.

dism.exe /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

exit

Shut down and reboot.

As for the search for your posts, click on Search then on Advanced - type in your name and press enter twice - I found three listed.
Old 07-02-18, 19:25

Thanks for replies.

I ran the windows update troubleshooter and it came up with registry errors which I fixed.
Unfortunately every windows update fails with the error code : 0xc0000005.
I had a quick look on web for this error code but the only useful fix that worked for some people were downloading the iso file for e.g the Windows Creator fall update and installing it from the iso file.

The problem is : I don't know which website to download from ??
: How to install from a iso file - (I do know what an iso file is !).
: Whether I need to download and install any other iso files ??

Google chrome has now stopped connecting to websites. It just timeouts. To get it to work I need to connect to websites through Microsoft Edge first and then go back to Chrome to load websites. I does not know what is the cause of this is ??

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards

Patrick Saunders
Old 07-02-18, 22:58
Global Moderator

The fact that you can get to websites using Edge would suggest that it could be one of Chrome's extensions and resetting Chrome to defaults should resolve that.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...96214?hl=en-GB

Edge as far as I know doesn't have extensions.

That update error code is Access Denied.

You need install media to manually update to 1709 (Curators Update).

You can create this onto either a DVD or USB after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

When you have done that, open Windows Explorer - click on the yellow folder in the taskbar then click on This PC - insert the DVD or USB and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to the files when using an USB - in which case double click on setup Application.

This is also how you would perform a repair install should you get problems with Win 10 and doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

It may default your browser to Edge and remove the Chrome icon from the taskbar - it sometimes does that to my IE icon.

I also have to reinstall my Win 7 Realtek wireless driver, reset my Realtek HD Audio manager and re-customise my Command Prompt (Admin).

Also check to see that System Protection is turned on.