Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 07-11-17, 16:54
Established member

Default Re: Internet disconnecting

What am I looking for in event veiwer and where? I can't find a reference to DHCP.

Thanks

gom
Old 07-11-17, 17:12
Global Moderator

In Event Viewer ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data, click on Error and then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane and then you can view the date and time stamped errors which you can click on in turn where more details will appear in the pane below.

It may not be a DHCP error but look to see if any errors coincide with the disconnects - but I'm still going with interference from somewhere or something with it being intermittent.

Did you read the Kitz article I'd linked ?

You could try a power cycle on the router.

You do that by switching off the router and disconnecting all cables for a couple of minutes as well as switching off any computers.

Reconnect the cables and switch just the router back on and when all of the lights are on, switch on your computer and see how it goes.

Tom.
Old 15-11-17, 20:28

I had this problem. Updated to w10 when first offered and two months later started losing the internet. I had to reset the network adapter or similar. I took my laptop to a repair shop who installed W8 and said problem solved. It wasn't. We then went on to fibre and the problem has not happened since, (fingers crossed!). I assume the modern drivers could not cope with a speed less than 2 meg. (Just before we went to fibre my new smart tv couldn't find the internet either but did so as soon as the speed inprove.)
Old 28-12-17, 20:29
Established member

I have changed my router and since then interent has only disconnected once in about 10 days. Hoping new router may have resolved problem, but time will tell.

gom
Old 28-12-17, 21:30
Global Moderator

I would check to see if the channel setting in the router is set to Auto and if so, use inSSIDer3 to find the best channel to change to.
Old 29-12-17, 11:36
Established member

I had problems setting up router which, after ringing router manufacturer, was a glitch in automatic set up procedure. The 2.4ghz channel was set to the incorrect number. Once I corrected this connection was made.

Bearing this in mind what are the advantages of setting it to auto?

Thanks

gom
Old 29-12-17, 15:06
Global Moderator

I don't believe there is an advantage in setting it to Auto.

It can drop you on what not may be the best channel but if it auto changes when you are streaming a video then it will glitch the stream as it momentarily disconnects/reconnects.

This is why I advocate using inSSIDer3 to find the best channel for your area and change it to that.

It seems to be a comparatively recent thing where they come pre-set to Auto - at one time they were set at 1 or 6 but neither may be suitable for your area and is probably why they now set them to Auto.
Old 29-12-17, 20:27
Established member

Thanks for clarification.

gom