Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 20-12-17, 08:18
Familiar face

Default Removing MS account without password?

I was given a laptop which had 2 accounts. One being a local account called "Admin", and the other is a Microsoft account. The account called "Admin" doesn't actually have administrator rights. So whenever I try to do something that requires admin confirmation, I need the password to the MS account, which is an Administrator. Is there a way that I can remove the MS account from the laptop, so that "Admin" becomes the Administrator, without knowing the password to the MS account? Help is appreciated.
Old 20-12-17, 08:26
Global Moderator

Default Re: Removing MS account without password?

I think you need the email address that was registered with the MS account so you will probably need to go back to whoever gave you the machine to find the log in details.

I haven't bothered with a MS account or machine password.
Old 20-12-17, 08:36
Familiar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I think you need the email address that was registered with the MS account so you will probably need to go back to whoever gave you the machine to find the log in details.

I haven't bothered with a MS account or machine password.
I do have the email address to the account, just not it's password. The person who gave it to me was given it by someone else and they were given it by someone else. The person who gave it to me has tried contacting the person who gave it to them if they know the password and it wasn't the right password.
Old 20-12-17, 08:58
Global Moderator

It could be awkward unless you can log into that email address as that is where MS send the new password - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-your-password

And changing the email address looks like it could be a Catch 22 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...rosoft-account

The provenance of this machine looks a little vague as to what it's original OS was but if this was now my machine, I would contact the machine's vendor for recovery disks and factory reset it and then upgrade back to Win 10 in the hope that the slate had been wiped clean.

It would be prudent to back up your personal stuff and create a system image should it not clean the slate.

I don't think a Win 10 Reset would achieve that.
Old 20-12-17, 10:04
Familiar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
It could be awkward unless you can log into that email address as that is where MS send the new password - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-your-password

And changing the email address looks like it could be a Catch 22 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...rosoft-account

The provenance of this machine looks a little vague as to what it's original OS was but if this was now my machine, I would contact the machine's vendor for recovery disks and factory reset it and then upgrade back to Win 10 in the hope that the slate had been wiped clean.

It would be prudent to back up your personal stuff and create a system image should it not clean the slate.

I don't think a Win 10 Reset would achieve that.
Without the password I can't sign into it and if I knew the password I wouldn't need to change it. I've tried doing "Forgotten my password" on the sign in online, but it asks me for things like "Exact subject lines of your last sent emails" which I can't answer. I then get the email saying that MS can not confirm my ownership of the account. Which is true, but since the computer is now mine I should be able to remove it from the device.

I think it originally had windows vista or xp, and was then upgraded to Windows 10.

I've just tried doing a reset and... I need the admin password to do it.
Old 20-12-17, 11:00
Established member

From a general point of view one would hope that gaining access to a laptop without the account password is difficult, otherwise why bother to secure your laptop at all. I wonder if the list of previous owners suggests that they all had the same problem?

A search on Google for "recovery of windows 10 password" will reveal various methods, using third party software, for doing this and I have no idea whether or not they work.

Another option worth thinking about is to scrap Windows and install some variety of Linux.

David