Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Old 06-12-17, 20:59
Top contributor

Default Genuine or Third party cartridges?

Just interested to see which you use for your printer.

Genuine cartridges

or

Third party ones

I use third party. I can get all 5 for less than £10 on Ebay

Mount Everest : The British Story
Old 06-12-17, 23:02
Global Moderator

Default Re: Genuine or Third party cartridges?

I've been using 3rd party ones since the warranty expired on my Epson all in one printer.
Old 06-12-17, 23:37
Highly valued member

We refill genuine cartridges with bulk ink for the specific brand cartridge.
Old 07-12-17, 09:29
Enthusiastic contributor

Third party or clones ever since I have had printers, once the supplied carts run out, and that is a long long time. I have mostly never had a problem, apart from an occasional one that hasn't worked, and I mean, out of the thousands of clones that I have used over the many years, occasional. At one time a while I was even getting free printers if I bought, I think it was, £80 worth of cartridges. At that time I was using that amount of carts every couple of months. That offer has been stopped for a few years now. I still use clones now I think the last price I paid was £12 for 6 sets on Ebay. Printer manufacturers don't like it and actually have tried to make it illegal to make and sell clones but, so far they have failed I'm very glad to say. The day do make clones illegal is the day I will stop printing stuff.
Old 07-12-17, 13:09
Enthusiastic contributor

I am fed up with Epson often popping up a message "Cartridge Not Recognized" - all I have to do is go through the "Replace Cartridge" procedure without actually replacing a cartridge and printing resumes as normal.
Old 07-12-17, 13:19
Global Moderator

I've never had that with my Epson.
Old 07-12-17, 14:32
Enthusiastic contributor

Mine do do that but only when the cartridge is empty. If your fed up of seeing that pop up then pay the extortionate prices that Epson want for genuine cartridges.
Old 08-12-17, 09:20
Enthusiastic contributor

Just so that you can see the sorts of prices I am paying for my cartridges here is the Ebay link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...idges&_sacat=0

I think the Epson price for one set is around £40. It's a no brainer really. I've had this printer for 6 months or so it cost just over a hundred pounds as it is an all singing all dancing thing with a completely useless, to me, fax but it does everything else including double sided printing. Two sets of cartridges from Epson is nearly as much as a new printer that has a set of cartridges with it. I would have easily paid more for cartridges in the time I have had the printer than I paid for the printer brand new if I had been buying original Epson carts.
Old 08-12-17, 14:57
Highly valued member

What are they like for printing colour photos? Do they give true colours when compared to Epson cartridges?

I have a Canon printer and only use Canon catridges.
Old 08-12-17, 16:35
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublell View Post
What are they like for printing colour photos? Do they give true colours when compared to Epson cartridges?

I have a Canon printer and only use Canon catridges.
Good for you. I can't see any difference in the colours that I print. If you actually look at photo printing glossy paper the whiteness varies quite a lot between varieties. This difference will affect how true the colours that are printed a lot. Also the way colours are displayed on a monitor and by a printer is different. A printer display colours by mixing red, blue and yellow. A monitor displays colurs by mixing red, blue and green. because of this colours can never be 100% true. Also my eyesight is not true. Colours that I see will be ever so slightly different to the colours you see.

For these reasons what on earth is the point in paying the extortionate prices that printer manufacturers ask for original cartridges. In a direct answer to your question, I dare say there is a difference between original cartridges made by printer manufacturers so that the colours you print on you Cannon are slightly different to the colours that I print with my Epson using original cartridges. There will also be a difference between colours printed using original cartridges and colours using clone cartridges. That difference may well be measurable but I cannot see them with my naked eye and I would hazard a guess that neither can you.

This takes me back to my original statement, Why on earth pay the stupidly extortionate prices that printer manufacturers ask for their cartridges when you buy clones for a fraction of the price that i cannot see any difference in.