Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Networking and Wi-Fi

Old 19-10-17, 19:57
Top contributor

Default Powerline plug mixing & the WinPcap app

Just spent a while getting a Secure set of Powerline Homeplugs (with the Security/Pairing buttons) to work with 3 older devices with No buttons
And the Short conclusion is it's impossible unless they are isolated

And to Complicate matters Both have the Same App on Disk called WinPcap which Is a Menu showing the Status of the Homeplugs "Channels" complete with their MAC Codes
However the versions supplied are Totally Different the Later version is only Keyed to the Model in the Box (Windows 7 to 10) and Cannot do a scan nor talk to another Secure Box (If it does not fit the Specs Criteria)

But I deleted that and Instead ran the Older version with is optimized for Windows 95 to Vista ? And I'm glad to say it works with no fuss (showing 5 links as I make up this Post)
Next up Do install Power Packet Utility Version 6.1 from 2012 https://goo.gl/7eYrnh This might be grouped with the older TP-Link brand Homeplugs?
Bottom Line: How did I get it all singing off the same songsheet?
The answer is to plug in 2 Filters into the Plugs next to the Router (I Have a Double Socket).Link to 2 Router Ports Running the Linked boxes the other with the Unsecure plugs. The Passthrough Plug lead Holds the Plugboard with the Power supply to the router and Phone PSU's link to the other on the 8 gang extension Socket ,4 sockets are not in Use . The Power useage is actually very light, less wattage than a Lightbulb
Bit of a Mashup. Has 2 Telephone Filters Fitted. Another Bonus means I can take down all the Wiring extensions compete with 1 Phone filter on the Stairs (about 25 metres)And I have the answer to another Forum Question Does Positioning the Router closer to the main phone socket give you a speed up?
I checked this. Was getting 4093 Kbps Upstairs /35 Ping ,in the New location Still 4093 Kbps Upload speed is slightly variable In the 940 to 960 kbps range (Had it up as high as 980)
Old 30-11-17, 22:19
Top contributor

Default Re: Powerline plug mixing & the WinPcap app

There is a sort of a snag on my Network and Its worth passing on
You May get a Windows Defender Warning Link that something has been Blocked (guessing False Positives ) due to the Version And App age (Made for Windows 7)

The Good news is you aren't going to be staring at it Daily May be a Quick Glance in to see if all Network Devices are Present and Functioning.It stores some of the Homeplug information which have been in use (plugged in) but Idle My List is up to 5 Items complete with their MAC address Numbers.
Not tried to see if my Wifi repeater Homeplug Reports "Present" ditto USB Webcams Have at least 3 to choose from