Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi...

Old 15-06-18, 17:49
Top contributor

Cool Smart TV .More channels to access. Might be OK for some set top boxes too

2 discovery things to try out if you have one of those ubiquitous Smart TV's and/or set top TV boxes which have Access to the Usual suspects namely Netflix BBC iPlayer and the Like Note: Has to be connected to the Internet

1st, On the onscreen display list check to see if there is a dedicated "Channel" which might say something like Sharp TV + and Click that Link . Impressed?
More? 2nd Check the minor Remote Control buttons to see if there is an Apps button.... On the TV I was viewing it brought up a Youtube type Layout with goodness knows how many more channels .Good feature on the UI menu/sidebar the Genre was fast selectable and had lockout parental controls too .
Is this worth an article in the Magazine? It is not given much (or NO!) page space in the Instruction leaflet for the TV beside setup scan for the Local Terrestrial /Freesat Channels

Despite what I found I suspect there are some so called Smart TV brands which do not have this Full range of channels (Name them!) Then only a USB TV streamer stick like Now TV or Roku will have to be purchased
Old 18-06-18, 13:33
Top contributor

Default Re: Smart TV .More channels to access. Might be OK for some set top boxes too

Did find I had "some access" to Bing and Google search @ Default level, unlike Mobile or Desktop Version, it is a bad fail on Google street view/ Bing Maps Street Scene (ex Maps) >Out of Memory message shows after 1 movement! ( 1GB or less?)
The Maps work OK otherwise. Some TV's might not have this issue...Query "Memory boost for Smart TV" Another Niggle the native Keyboard Layout (I
used) was in ABC format, NOT QWERTY And was Very slow! Suggestion online, use an external Keyboard >Bluetooth? Mouse too!

Going back to Freeview set top boxes with internet sockets they are mostly severely "wall gardened" with BBC iPlayer ITV player level items only!