Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Video & Photo

Old 25-01-18, 10:51
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Downloading and saving videos to android tablets

is there a good app for doing this please, or what is the best one ?
Old 25-01-18, 20:32
Highly valued member

Default Re: Downloading and saving videos to android tablets

Depends what you mean.

I assume you mean stuff that isn't copy right material

What kind of videos just in general terms and do you want to download to your PC and then upload to a USB or SD Card for watching on Android as it can make a difference.
Old 25-01-18, 21:46
Enthusiastic contributor

General stuff. Maybe a few you tube music things...maybe a few football clips...maybe even a film (unlikely but possible) then maybe even back them up or in the case of a film transfer to PC and out onto a disk.

There is an old film that i would love to find but isnt available although it wss on TV years ago. I would want to do that straight from youtube onto the desktop and a DVD though if i found it.
Old 25-01-18, 21:57
Enthusiastic contributor

I was also looking at a site called mobdro...to watch football...but there are lots of them so need to be careful i think. Apologies and delete this comment if their is a legal problem with it.
Old 25-01-18, 22:36
Highly valued member

The legal stuff is a nightmare Mobdro is probably no different to many others. I can't see what the difference is recording a free to view tv stream for personal use when you are away to recording it on a purpose made TV recorder to watch at home. Plus it isn't free anyway you have the licence for BBC and the commercial stations is paid for with adverts which you still watch no matter where.

Mobdro may be steaming illegally (I don't honestly know) but your are watching free to view stuff which you are able to record at home. So what's the difference really. Plus places like Spain are a lot more relaxed about it (at the moment) so long as its not for profit.

Anyway! ..First thing is that video files are of course quite big you will need plenty of space on your tablet if you are thinking of uploading them to the tablets internal storage even in the size they will download at using the method I am suggesting.

It would be better to put them onto an SD card if you have one or use a USB flash Drive. Check that your device supports USB most do but one or two don't. Not 100% sure but I seem to recall that the Amazon tablet doesn't as they want you to download their stuff. I've a feeling the Google Nexus doesn't either but I might be wrong there as their MotoG phones do support USB playback. NB All tablets will need an OTG connector to read a USB Drive, they are only 2 or 3 quid.

There are various methods of doing what you want but the easiest and most reliable way one size fits all (I find) is to use Firefox with the Firefox add-on installed called 'Download Helper', it can download just about any video that is playing through Firfox from most websites accessed by Firefox. .https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/

When the add-on is installed to Firefox you just see that the 3 coloured balls which are displayed on the download site will have been added by the RH side of the address bar. They are grey when no video is playing but as soon as video content is detected they will light up coloured.

When you see that, left clicking the balls and you gets a drop down menu with the titles of the video content that has been detected. Click the title you want and it will download either to a default installed 'download helper' folder or to a folder which you can set in the settings.

If the video is being streamed in more than one format you may see the the same title repeated 2 or 3 times in which case always pick MP4 as this is as good a quality as full AVI but only takes up about a fifth of the space on disc and will transfer well and quickly to a SD Card or USB and play on most devices.

Next comes playback, some Android players video are limited and picky about the files they will play, some even flash a message to buy their extra codec to play some of the popular video files. I find the best and lightweight Android video player is MX player, it will play just about any video file you chuck at it. If you have trouble with the inbuilt default Android player get MX Player from the Play Store (its Free)

One last thing on MX player (and other video players come to that) sometimes you look for your videos and the USB isn't visible. When I get that I just go to the Android file manager (or the one of your choice if you have installed a third party one) find the USB and open it, find the video you want and click it, now you will get an option to play it with whatever player(s) you have installed select MX Player (or the one you want) and from then on all the video files on the SD or USB will be visible to play in the players user interface itself.

I could go on as its a long subject but see what you think about that.

Oh just one more if you are thinking of downloading direct to Android SD Card Firefox and Download helper are available for Android but this other Android browser looks good with an already built in video downloader. I intend to try it when we next go away on my Android TV stick as a Free to View TV recorder straight onto the Android TV stick's SD card. If it is as versatile as 'Download helper' I may stick with that as it claims to have other privacy benefits.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....cmcm.armorfly

Last edited by jak; 25-01-18 at 23:04.
Old 30-01-18, 18:11
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for that massive amount of info. I was just looking at video downloaders on googleplay such as free video downloader but it says it doesnt do youtube.

I used to use a video downloader years ago when i used windows xp to download - and keep - rock clips and i still have them. It plays them back on the desktop using .flv tags with vlc player but i cant remember the name. I actually stopped using it because they uograded it and it stopped downloading these clips.

Ill read and digest what yiu say Jak