Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 11-12-15, 16:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Default ipad refuses to charge

Suddenly my mini ipad won't charge. Nothing wrong with the charger - it works on other machines (and worked OK on mine up until now). The ipad at present has no charge at all, and when plugged into the charger an image of a battery with a thin red line on it appears for a second or so, and then disappears. The screen then returns to black and nothing else happens. Can anyone tell me what I should do?
Old 11-12-15, 18:42
Global Moderator

Default Re: ipad refuses to charge

Take it to an Apple shop and get it tested or back to where you got it from if within warranty.
Old 13-12-15, 16:14
Highly valued member

iPads basic functions are not totally different to Android.

So I'm applying android thinking to this but it has to be worth a try as there is nothing else coming forward from the iPad users.

Press and hold in the power button and then plug in the charger. Keep the power button pressed for a minute or so and see if the charging circuit kicks in.

Has to be worth a try in the lack of any better advice.
Old 13-12-15, 19:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Jak, but alas, no success. I've also followed advice elsewhere on the internet - hold down the shutdown button at the same time as the home key, but also to no avail - the battery icon with the thin red line appears, then goes away for good. I've checked the connection points for lint, etc, but they are all clear.

It seems from my searches that many other people have the same problem. There are some bizarre solutions out there that I dare not try - eg, turning a hairdryer on to the back of the ipad for about a minute and then giving it another go - but this sounds like witch-doctor stuff to me and, scaredy cat that I am, I'd prefer a more orthodox method.

Failing any further advice, I will take it to the Apple shop in Cardiff on Thursday. But with a heavy heart, since it is two months out of guarantee. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 14-12-15, 09:53
Highly valued member

I've never heard of the hair dryer thing before but it does have some technical merit (possibly) but it does seem like a grasping at straws measure.

There are a number of reasons why a tablet wont take charge and some are just plainly beyond DIY help. ... But ... one of the reasons is that the type of battery used in tablets/pads can go into 'deep discharge' ie in simple basic terms ... it has discharged to a point that offers a resistance that is beyond the push a charger has to get current into the battery.

Applying some heat to a battery may raise its level of charge very slightly, and to put it simply, lower that resistance so with luck and a following wind and some trust in the Lord maybe it will bring the battery up enough to take a charge if it's state of discharge is to just below the border line.

But I think as you quite rightfully say it is something to be wary of. If I were to try that I'd not apply heat excessively and I would try to identify just where about the battery is inside the Pad and point the heat at that point.

But of course as a something that does work it could be snake oil as you say.
Old 18-12-15, 17:51
Enthusiastic contributor

Heck. Well, I'll have to confess. Went to the Apple Store in the St David's Centre in Cardiff, although my daughter warned me I would be wasting my time because I should have booked a slot for technical support and she said that this should have been done two or three days ahead.

Although there were masses of people wanting to buy new stuff for Christmas I tried anyway. Was immediately greeted by a helpful assistant who pointed me to Dave, who punched details into a computer and said that I would be contacted by text message in about 40 minutes to tell me that there was someone available who could help me.

This indeed came to pass and my ipad was duly inspected. And now the 'I confess' bit kicks in. I said in my original message that there was nothing wrong with the cable. This, in fact, turns out not to be true. I had visited my daughter prior to the recharge failure, and the cable that I had been using had apparently been commandeered by a grandchild who had inadvertently provided me with a totally different (but a lookalike) cable when I packed up my stuff to return home.

What can I say? Except that I'll try to do better in future, thanks for your efforts on my behalf and a Happy Christmas to everyone who has helped me in the past year.