Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 08-11-15, 20:24
Enthusiastic contributor

Default copying files from pc to phone

im trying to copy some vids from my pc to samsung phone. Im getting an error message saying file cannot be copied and the device has either been disconnected or stopped responding. Im on windows 10 and using galaxy mini phone.

I am using the usb slots at the front of my pc to connect to my phone via cable.
Old 15-11-15, 10:31
Highly valued member

Default Re: copying files from pc to phone

Don't know for sure but seeing nobody else has responded to your question .....

My own phone is quite old and It's a good while since I messed about with the inners of Android phones but you used to need to have USB debugging enabled to connect directly to a PC and reading a couple of post on latest Android the simplicity of plug and play may have taken a step backwards.

On the other hand perhaps phones rather than tablets have always retained the need to have 'USB Debugging' initialised, but I don't honestly know for sure.

However If I were you I would look in setting and for 'USB Debugging' and switch it on then try again.

I've had a quick look on the internet and found this YouTube thing for the Samsung S4 which might help (there are probably others but it was the first to come up in the search) Your Samsung may be the same but if not there may be one for your exact phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg0tJ52Hhs

It's looks like Samsung have gone to a bit of trouble to hide debugging. In basic Android it used to be right there clearly displayed in setting at one time although most people didn't know what it was for.

Trying to connect with it in on isn't going to hurt anything and it can be just switched off again afterwards.

You can of course fiddle with the OS this way so you need to be careful what you tweak. I always thought it easier to keep all my personal stuff on the SD card and just pop that into a card reader for uploading or downloading.

PS afterthought ... If you have one of those Adapters to convert a micro SD into full size (Sandisc usually supply them with their micro cards FOC) most PCs thesedays have a full sized SD slot so with the adapter you can plug the phones micro SD straight into the PC's card slot, sometimes that's easier that messing about in the phones setting and connecting with cables and navigating to the SD card.

Last edited by jak; 15-11-15 at 10:39.
Old 20-11-15, 00:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: copying files from pc to phone

thanks for the reply, I cant transfer files when I plug the phone into my front usb ports, but when i plug my phone into a usb 4 port hub thats connected to the back of my pc its works fine. I think the problem must be the front usb ports that dont provide enough power or maybe there just arent working correctly.