Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 04-05-12, 22:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Question Proxy servers

I don't follow the logic of the Bitdefender comments on p 18 of the latest WU 3 May: " we don't advise using anonymous proxies too often, especially when you have to perform private operations such as logging into accounts, sending sensitive information and starting online banking sessions".
When I installed Comodo firewall I took up their default offer to use their proxy servers in the belief that such measures were intend to increase security PRECISELY in cases such as outlined above. My little world is collapsing ..
Old 05-05-12, 18:31
Global Moderator

Default Re: Proxy servers

An anonymous proxy server is exactly that - anonymous. That also means that the internet traffic that you route through it is out of your control. You have no way of knowing exactly who is providing that service, what country it is in or what they could do with any sensitive data that they are handling on your behalf. At least with your own ISP you can be reasonably certain that they won't use your data for nefarious purposes.

In your case the servers aren't anonymous, they are owned and controlled by Comodo.
Old 05-05-12, 21:02
Enthusiastic contributor

I had a feeling that it would not be a simple black & white situation. Are therefore users like me of Comodo and other organisations that offer "non-anonymous" proxy servers getting a greater level of security when doing for example online banking transactions than without using them?
There is obviously another category of anonymous proxies that you can get linked in to which I don't know about.
Old 06-05-12, 08:22
Global Moderator

Using proxy servers is, in my view, simply a way of by-passing restrictions on what web sites you can visit. They are commonly used by people trying to download from sites that check your country of origin, or by people using works PC's trying to 'beat the system'. I don't see any security benefits at all.
Old 08-05-12, 07:53
Enthusiastic contributor

I believe it's the use of the Comodo DNS servers that is offered when installing Comodo software. This can can give security benefits because it filters out malware sites. This being done by way of referencing a list of sites that are considered to be harmful.

This is different to a proxy where the purpose is to give anonymity on the Internet. If I use the DNS server that my ISP provides, I can located to where the ISP equipment is situated. However, I prefer to use Norton DNS and when using this, I'm still located to exactly the same place. The same situation exists when using Comodo's DNS servers. With a proxy server offering anonymity, I'd be located somewhere much more distant than that.

So I think there is a difference between what Comodo offers when installing their software and the anonymous proxy servers mentioned in the magazine.
Old 08-05-12, 12:09
Enthusiastic contributor

It's not simple, as I thought!
If I use Comodo FW and Avast 7 AV (which has web shields and things) am I better or worse off if I go to my ISP O2 asking if they have a proxy server that I could use?
Old 08-05-12, 14:57
Enthusiastic contributor

Your ISP won't have a proxy server, only a 'Domain Name Service' (or Server). You can use this without further thought if you like. Or you can switch to another DNS server (such as Comodo offers) that uses filtering to block sites that are considered a risk. As far as I know, no ISP DNS server does this. You have to switch to one that does if you consider it a good thing. I do because it gives a security layer that needs nothing installing. It is all a matter of opinion though.

It might be best to do a little reading about how the Internet works. If you read enough, you sort start get a picture of what is happening without have to get too deeply into the subject. Below are a few pages that I think are helpful but there are many others to be found on the Internet. The trick is to find some with the most basic ways of describing this complicated subject:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/in...s/internet.htm (examine the picture closely including the direction of the arrows).

http://dns.servers.co.uk/

http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8253529_a...xy-server.html

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...onymously3.htm
Old 08-05-12, 15:17
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I've got some homework to do! (I hadn't been intending to go into the topic too deeply and it might be that I decide that the setup I have now is OK)
Old 08-05-12, 21:44
Enthusiastic contributor

I couldnt believe how easy it was to run thru a proxy on my browser until last month when i first tried it! (I have had MyIE2 for 7 yrs or so )

I just click OPTIONS/PROXY and set it up there!! (Then go back to the main proxy box and select that proxy!)
Old 09-05-12, 09:04
Enthusiastic contributor

"Options/proxy" seems to be hiding in my IE 8. May be I should upgrade to IE 2!