Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other OS

Old 02-05-12, 20:51
Passionate member

Default Re: Manipulate taskbar

Came across this site for customising and repairing the task bar.
Old 02-05-12, 20:58
Top contributor

There must be something wrong on your PC other than the inability to alter the size of the taskbar. I've just been messing about on our XP PC and I've been able to change the height of the taskbar either way, with or without QL enabled. It's definitely a bit fiddly to get things just how you want them, but it should be possible to do it with some patience and probably a lot of bad language! Another couple of links, but I don't think they say anything new:

How to Make a Taskbar Thinner

Using The Taskbar

Last edited by Madeline; 02-05-12 at 21:02.
Old 06-05-12, 00:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
Mine takes up 2 rows on our XP PC too, but that's how I've got it set. As far as I can remember, you should be able to drag the top border downwards, thus returning it to one row, while the taskbar is unlocked. There are little vertical bars that mark off the positions for the running programs and the quick launch ones; you should be able to drag those around and get the running programs to the right of the quick launch icons and then get the taskbar to be thin again.
I suppose that if the system is kosher you can move the vertical dotted line dividers at lib when the taskbar is unlocked. Even if I clear off all programs and disable the Quick Launch bar so that there's just clear blue water, the two dotted bars, one below the other, refuse to budge. Even swearing at them in Welsh doesn't have any effect.
Old 06-05-12, 22:44
Top contributor

Quote:
I suppose that if the system is kosher you can move the vertical dotted line dividers at lib when the taskbar is unlocked. Even if I clear off all programs and disable the Quick Launch bar so that there's just clear blue water, the two dotted bars, one below the other, refuse to budge. Even swearing at them in Welsh doesn't have any effect.
Clearly something's gone wrong somewhere, but unfortunately I don't know what it is.

I don't know any Welsh swear words; my swear vocabulary includes Anglo-Saxon with a few French, German and US variants, but no Welsh alas!
Old 09-05-12, 09:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Good thing too otherwise I can see you being reported to the Moderator for using abusive language which no one understands (!)

I'm wondering if the only solution is to reinstall Windows which would amount to sledge hammer treatment.
Old 09-05-12, 20:06
Top contributor

Quote:
Good thing too otherwise I can see you being reported to the Moderator for using abusive language which no one understands (!)
If they didn't undersand it, how would they know it was abusive?
Quote:
I'm wondering if the only solution is to reinstall Windows which would amount to sledge hammer treatment.
It does seem somewhat drastic, but if you decide to do it, don't forget to backup first! I'm sure you wouldn't forget, but I thought I'd mention it anyway!