Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Old 04-05-12, 09:40
Enthusiastic contributor

Talking Graphics Card Suggestions

Hello everyone, its been a while since i have been here lol. I have just set up my computer to my 40" LED TV. I have noticed that the screen resolution doesn't quite fit my screen as the onboard graphics has a max of 1280 x 800. I am looking for a reasonable graphics card theat will take advantage of my screen and play Blueray films at 1080p. I don't need a high end graphics as i don't play games and probably a low profile one would suit better as i am looking to scale down the size of the case. For info i have a AsRock 4core1333-FullHD Motherboard with a PCIE slot x16

Thanks
Stuarty
Old 04-05-12, 12:01
Top contributor

Default Re: Graphics Card Suggestions

There may be a Clue on the Back of your TV as to the screen Resolution

If not post the TV Model number and that Information can't be far away
Then somebody can suggest a Graphics card which will cope

Some free things to Install before any graphics card/upgrade installation

First off download Quicktime Media player Version 7.7.1 from www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ (37Mbs)
Or www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_player/ I'm running version 7.6.6 about 2 years old and Its not prompted for an update nor failed

Install this and Forget it ,as it acts to Work in the Background on the 2nd
Download... (select Quicktime interface if Prompted)
VLC Media Player 2.0.1 ( www.videolan.org )
See also www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/ > Change list is always massive (Packs in that many drivers/fixes ) into Just 21 MBs

This will enhance your Viewing and acts as an all region Player too (Plays anything Video/Audio) Even with a weakish Graphics Card (To Its highest resolution)

This comes with a Powerful Professional graphic equalizer (10 band!) Lots of Video setup controls and Lots of things to discover besides
Cost? Nothing! Last similar Set up for sound only(several years ago)
I saw for the PC was somewhere in the region of 60 to 70 Pounds Easily
So had to compromise with a 3 band equalizer (Real Player and QT player) is a Premium to go 10 band
Old 04-05-12, 13:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Talking Re: Graphics Card Suggestions

Thanks BedstorfromAP for your promt reply, it looks as though Apple products are leading the way for performance when it comes to digital entertainment and editing. I was looking at software for the latter part but was getting put off with some of the packages available that had a rather large content that i didn't require.

As for my TV its a 42" and it supports Full 1080p resolution, 1920 x 1080. The product details are LG 42LE4500

I see alot of Radeon 1 or 2gb DDR3 cards available for less than ?55 supporting screen resolutions of 2560 x 1600 at 60Hz

The Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6570 2GB GDDR3 Graphics Card which also supports 2560 x 1600 at 60Hz is the one i seem to be drawn to.

Thanks

Stuarty
Old 04-05-12, 17:01
Top contributor

Default Re: Graphics Card Suggestions

I agree with your choice the Sapphire brand cards are very good on HD
and are not heavy on the Power either

I have a Sapphire 1GB HD 4670 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer and I think that was 42 pounds (2 years ago) working with 4 GB RAM

Price is about 59 quid but Pixmania stock them for 52 pounds + 4 pounds delivery

Question, is the Hz frequency alterable on your TV? If so try to match it with the card settings (Flickers otherwise) But you may just have to tweak the card "a Touch" for the same result (after the auto setup)

I have an old CRT Monitor and that is set in the 72 to 75 Hz range so the newer cards have to be altered to suit this frequency Have to run the Graphics driver Wizard to see if that improves matters But having said that, the current Monitor generation are factory set @ 60hz