Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 28-04-12, 18:51
Global Moderator

Default Re: MSE won't uninstall

Have you tried this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2435760

Kevin

If you are satisfied with my help, consider a donation. Thank you...
Old 28-04-12, 20:44
Top contributor

Quote:
Madeline, thanks so much, I'm a log virgin, can you explain the procedure please? Also, could one of you tell me if it's possible to receive notification emails when a question is answered?
Hi bobcat,

It gives instructions in the first post in the HJT forum on how to go about it, although if you just post about your problem there, I'm sure that either bricat or kevinf80 will give you all the help that you need.

You can get notification emails when a question is answered. Go to User Options, then Edit Options on the left hand side of the page. Under 'Messaging & Notification', find the part where it says:
Quote:
Default Thread Subscription Mode

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
Default Thread Subscription Mode:
You can choose your preferred option from the drop-down menu to the right of 'Default Thread Subscription Mode:' - mine's set to 'Instant email notification', which is probably what you want.

The link posted by kevinf80 in post #11 above is the same as the 2nd link which I posted in post #2.

It astonishes me that Microsoft don't have a proper removal tool for MSE; most other such programs, whether free or paid-for have an effective utility to enable complete removal of the program.

Last edited by Madeline; 28-04-12 at 20:48.
Old 28-04-12, 23:02
Top contributor

Sorry, I forgot to mention above that you should click 'Save Changes' when you've finished setting your options.
Old 28-04-12, 23:53
Established member

Thank you again Madeline for your time and patience. I'll get going with HJT tomorrow. I've saved the email changes and yes, zero marks to Microsoft for the uninstall fiasco. It's cost me a lot of time and aggro and if I'm ok it's purely by luck and no thanks to them. What makes me even more livid, is that all I did was click on their patch which they think was designed to help me. If that's an example of their "Help" I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them!
Old 29-04-12, 19:41
Established member

At the risk of outstaying my welcome may I add what I hope may be the last post on this subject? I've been in touch with the Microsoft Help Centre They sent me Revo Pro with a view to do a forced uninstall. I took a deep breath and began. I was finally left with a multitude of registry stuff to delete, so nothing ventured etc I began deleting all the black ones. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I've had so much hassle with this I was beyond caring.MSE is still showing on my program list but clicking on it reveals..."This specified service does not exist as an installed service error code 0x80070424. Can I ask if you think it's gone now and also, I've still got the red flag with an x inside in the Taskbar telling me my computer is at risk. Is there any way to get rid of it...it's staring at me!!
Old 29-04-12, 21:08
Top contributor

You're certainly not outstaying your welcome and you're very welcome for any help I've been able to give you bobcat, although it seems very little to me. Regarding error code 0x80070424, you might find the following link useful:

Error 0x80070424 occurs when you use Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or Windows Firewall

You said:
Quote:
Can I ask if you think it's gone now and also, I've still got the red flag with an x inside in the Taskbar telling me my computer is at risk. Is there any way to get rid of it...it's staring at me!!
I honestly don't know. If bits of a program are left behind following an uninstall, there's always a possibility that the remnants could cause trouble later. I'd still be inclined to go down the HJT route.
Old 29-04-12, 22:47
Established member

Right, here's the thing, after I used Revo I didn't restart...didn't know I had to! Just done it now and......the red warning arrow's gone from the taskbar and now I'm feeling good about being clear. So may I bid you all farewell (Until the next time) and my grateful thanks to you all...Madeline, Kevinf80, Dunno and greysts and an extra thankyou to Madeline for explaining how to receive notification emails....they're coming through now Madeline. Au revoir...Andy.
Old 30-04-12, 22:41
Top contributor

That's excellent news Andy, I'm so pleased to know that you've got it sorted now and that you're receiving your notification emails too!

Madeline