Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Music & audio

Old 26-04-12, 08:00
Familiar face

Question Windows Media Player not ripping/Music problems

My WMP has gone from working perfectly well to not ripping any CD at all.

When I press "Start Rip" it gives the player grinds to a halt - the "(Not Responding)" message appears at the top - and then pops up with the "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD" message box. I've tried a number of CDs, both old and new, with the same result.

Also, when I try to move any music from my Shared folder to my Music folder (kept on a separate hard drive - J Drive), I get the message "Cannot read from the source file or disk". I've tried a number of different folders with the same result. The WMP does play music though.

When I go into my J Drive, where the music is, and I try to open a new folder by pressing Organize and New Folder I get the same "Cannot read from source file or disk" message.

I've unplugged everything attached to the CD drive and re-attached it. I've run all my anti-virus, anti-malware software too.

Any ideas?
Old 26-04-12, 10:00
Familiar face

Default Re: Windows Media Player not ripping/Music problems

I've changed the drive that the CDs rip to from J (External Hard Drive) to C (On my PC) and that appears to be working so that would indicate a problem with the External Hard Drive.

Hmm...*strokes chin*
Old 26-04-12, 19:56
Enthusiastic contributor

Run a chkdsk j: /f or /r on it and see what it comes up with.
Old 05-05-12, 08:24
Familiar face

Well, I found out what the problem was. It was the 2T Seagate external hard drive that was reeking merry havoc!

A friend of a friend, who knows about such things, eventually worked it out. The disk drive itself was fine but somehow when it was connected to my PC it went a bit mad and slowed everything down! He had to smash it open, take the disk drive out and put it in to my PC and now everything works fine again. To be honest, it makes me very wary of using another one of their external hard drives because I don't want to go through the stress again of thinking I'd lost every piece of music I have.