Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Video & CGI

Old 15-04-12, 01:13
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Non runner BBCiPlayer/BBC live workarounds

Have you tried F8 on bootup and Last known good config yet ?
Old 15-04-12, 02:08
Top contributor

Forgot to include this list. Had to redo as it wasn't saved first time o:
If you compare my Nova bench Number (384)against computers the same score they all have the roughly the same spec as Yours truly
The Badly set up PC's will stick out like sore Thumbs Example Over sized Processor with minimum RAM fitted or Cheap RAM with Poor Transfer speeds

Here is My Scorecard:
Quote:
Verified NovaBench Score: 384

Test run on April 14, 2012
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ running at 2410 MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT GPU

1536 MB System RAM (Score: 87) < Running with 1 Failed RAM card!- RAM Speed: 1285 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 114)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 23634605
- Integer Operations/Second: 58706791
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 516203

Graphics Tests (Score: 176)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 527

Hardware Tests (Score: 7)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 149 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 10 MB/s
Last item, why only a score of 7? and Its a SATA drive Fitted

This is where I fit in with similar spec'ed machines (3 on this list >I'm #3)

Last edited by Bedstor; 15-04-12 at 02:13.
Old 15-04-12, 03:02
Enthusiastic contributor

This is on my older Tosh laptop which I normally get 275 on with my newer Tosh getting about 295.

Even though my newer one's CPU is just 1.3MHz, I think the better score may be due to that the CPU and graphics are "integral". At least Speccy describes it as "with Radeon HD6300" (?)

Did you check out "Last known good config" and when did you last do a defrag ?

TomNov.JPG
Old 15-04-12, 04:53
Top contributor

I defrag weekly Last occasion Friday 13th

As for trying the Last Good Configuration thing We get a Message saying there is No saved data, Other places such as System Restore Are set to 6 weeks to 2months capacity (applies to both machines)

I have a congested Windows XP computer awaiting attention
and the same thing is happening with that System restore when I can gain access is set Longer (Not my set up) Defragging does zilch with the Hard drive and somehow the settings are locked out > can barely access Safe Mode, let alone the BIOS Settings Menu when it ran and we had "access'

Reasons for this Brother Loading it up with World of Warcraft Junk Plus making Accounts (Expensive on Drive space) and another Brother installing another DUD copy of XP on a Partition

And add 3 odd sticks of Memory to the Mix

Where do you start with a Mess like that, If you can do anything at all?
Is that bad I cannot Put my copy of SIW on that Computer to Find out Whats going on Internally. As far as I can remember it just locked up without an Out of Memory error shown
Old 15-04-12, 09:24
Enthusiastic contributor

Perhaps it's time to invest in an external HD, do a clean install (with just one OS), a spring clean of the progs and leave some of the larger ones on the external HD to boot them from there when needed.

Just in case it's needed http://www.pruittfamily.com/paul/cleanxpinstall.htm

I don't know if your pc manufacturer has a Health Check facility at its support site but you can use the tools on this site http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 to run a HDD diagnostic test in light of that low (7) score, on the off chance that it's starting to fail.

Last edited by Dunno; 15-04-12 at 09:28.
Old 15-04-12, 18:07
Top contributor

I cannot understand that low speed return from that Hard drive The dirive is reliable and is only 2 years old The Only Program that takes up the Bulk of the Drive space is My Brothers World of Warcraft taking up 29 GBs without adding the Patches which are Streamed often Via a dedicated Torrent stream downloader which I never use personally as all sort of junk can be passed on > They are also very slow
Startup is Very slow on Internet Explorer (Takes a few minutes 1st start after Hard reset) Put that reason down to my brother messing around with the Firewall settings and switching the Comodo Antivirus off Leaving the Windows Firewall "protecting" the Machine!

Note to Dunno: on the Machine of Grief above he even Ran it without that Firewall Claiming that it slowed down his Game session!!

As for external Hard drives I Have 3 / 2 with Recycled Units from Scrap computers from the Windows 98 era? and the 3rd is a Seagate 320GB Unit
And,here is My Windows 7 Novabench report results
It has NO WoW type Programs running on it

Quote:
Verified NovaBench Score: 540

Test run on April 15, 2012
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

AMD Phenom 9950 running at 2606 MHz

ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series GPU

4096 MB System RAM (Score: 103)
- RAM Speed: 1720 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 334)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 101603884
- Integer Operations/Second: 270621324
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 651339

Graphics Tests (Score: 75)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 240

Hardware Tests (Score: 28)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 298 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 88 MB/s
NOTE Hard drive is a 320GB unit but only reports 298 GB

As regard Hard drive tests/ tweakers I think Seatools can work on most types of HD's
PS This can even be run in DOS
Old 15-04-12, 19:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Well, as you will know age is no respecter of electronic components.

On both my Tosh laptops the HDD is partitioned. This one is a 250GB and I think it's equally partitioned but the newer one has a 640GB HDD and is split 298 for Win (C)and 297 for Data (D) of which 289 is free (approx 8GB for HDD Recovery), so there is a similar discrepancy in the total which will probably be for the OS.

Your difference is 22GB, 8-9GB for the OS and if you don't have the HDD Rcovery, then I don't know on that one. How much larger is Pro to Home Premium ?

Have you had a look in Task Manager/Processes to see if anything is hogging the memory and perhaps a Rootkit scan would be advisable.

This laptop (my older one) now takes about 2 mins to boot up whereas it was once about 1.2 -1.25 mins but I've never managed to nail it down.

I once managed to knock off about .75 min by uninstalling the two main channels of the ATAPI Controller (via Device Manager) then rebooting, as this reverts (forgot what it's called) to using DMA instead of PIO which is quicker.

Window knocks it back to PIO when there are more that 6 transfer errors, so perhaps you could try that.

If there aren't any channels such as Channel 0 and Chanel 1 then as an Administrator from the cmd prompt enter set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices then go back into Device Manager and expand the ATAPI Controllers where they should now display. Have a look in the rest and you'll be surprised at how many duplicated/old drivers there could be.

I'll probably have to give that another go.

Also as an Administrator from the cmd prompt, have you entered msconfig and under Services, ticked Hide all MS services, untick the rest of the boxes and reboot to see how (if any) much quicker it boots up.

It will also be worth checking Startup while you're in there.

You then have to reinstate them one by one to see which is the hungriest/threshold, rebooting each time and then deciding which to disable on startup. Something I haven't had the time/patience for yet

What is your Win7 like at navigating IE as extreme lag can be caused by a high error count on your broadband and a router reset can sometimes resolve that, unless there's a fault on the line and it may be worth having your ISP do a line check. You could also try flushing the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) if both are a bit slow or even changing DNS servers.

Is the XP's lag in IE all of the time or just when both machines are in use and has your brother tried a different browser ?

The more devices sharing the same bandwidth will cause a slowdown if it isn't sufficiently large enough.

I think we've kinda digressed somewhat from your original problem.
Old 15-04-12, 20:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Just as an Edit to my last post, the string set devmgr etc. it should read at the end devices=1 Sorry about that.