Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 28-08-13, 14:20
Familiar face

Default How did Trusteer Rapport End Protection get on my computer?

While using my computer, I noticed that new software had been installed called trusteer end protection. When I looked into this, I discovered it had been installed a couple of days earlier. However I do not recall installing this myself and I am the only user of my computer. By searching about this on the Internet, I found out that trusteer end protection is linked to online banking, which I do. However on the day the software installed, I did not visit online banking. I find it hard to believe that anyone, including my bank, could install this software on my computer without my knowledge or permission. So how did it get on my system? And how do I know if it is safe or a scam of some sort? I deleted it from my system as I felt suspicious.
Old 28-08-13, 15:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: How did Trusteer Rapport End Protection get on my computer?

I have recently installed Trusteer Rapport and it was not an easy install, you would have known it was being installed!

You needed to be online and the download was only a link to download the full package.

In summary the real software can not be installed without your knowledge.

My version does not have "End Protection" in its title so I think you were right to be suspicious.

Have you checked your software download folder? Any real download of Trusteer will first have been placed there.
Old 28-08-13, 23:11
Top contributor

Both of the banks whichI use encourage their customers to get Trusteer Rapport. I haven't done so and don't intend to as it can be troublesome. However, I agree with FratPark that you would have had known if it was being installed legitimately, for one thing, you would have had to initiate the download as a bank can't foist it on you without your agreement. I don't know whether you might have picked up some malware, but it would be sensible to carry out scans with both your AV program and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you don't have the latter, you can get it here:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

When it's installed, update it and run a scan to see if it finds anything.
Old 28-08-13, 23:45
Top contributor

It may have been bundled with another download and installed by default. Have you downloaded anything recently?
Quote:
I deleted it from my system as I felt suspicious.
That begs the question "Was it actually installed" Sounds as if it was just downloaded and sitting in a folder as I understand, once installed, it is quite difficult to uninstall. How did you do that?

Joe.
Old 29-08-13, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo2K View Post
So how did it get on my system?
You probably had "Rapport" already installed. The invisible update (that's how it works by default) replaced "Rapport" with "Trusteer Endpoint Protection" (guess it sounds a bit like a Symantec product which it certainly has nothing to do with).

Rapport is quite an intrusive program. If it works for you then don't worry about it. However, I saw 2 computers in the last week that either couldn't shutdown of startup as a result of this "update".

If you've not a fan of intrusive programs like this then zap it. Its not a REQUIREMENT of UK banaks but many are recommending it.
Old 29-08-13, 23:37
Top contributor

I agree with musicrab when he says
Quote:
Rapport is quite an intrusive program. If it works for you then don't worry about it. However, I saw 2 computers in the last week that either couldn't shutdown of startup as a result of this "update".

If you've not a fan of intrusive programs like this then zap it. Its not a REQUIREMENT of UK banaks but many are recommending it
I started a thread about Trusteer Rapport some time ago, but you may be interested to read it:

Trusteer Rapport