Web User Forums

Web User Forums (http://forum.webuser.co.uk/index.php)
-   Windows 7 help (http://forum.webuser.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=374)
-   -   Win 7 Updates (http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153406)

ERICG 24-05-18 09:37

Win 7 Updates

I realise I have not had Patch Tuesday updates for several months. When I accessed / Control Panel/Security/Check for updates I received a message
Windows Updates cannot check for updates as the service is not running.
You may need to restart your computer
Restarting had no effect, just repeated the above.
How do I restart the update service which always used to operate during the "Shut down" sequence?
Everything seems to be running OK
thanks ericg

Cantrel 24-05-18 09:47

Re: Win 7 Updates

Can you run a sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

ERICG 24-05-18 20:08

Hi Cantrel. I clicked on start, typed sfc /scannow into search box, clicked "enter". A box appeared at top of screen for a millisecond, disappeared then nothing else happened. What am I doing wrong? I am typing
"sfc /scannow" with a space after sfc
ericg

Madeline 24-05-18 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERICG (Post 1202096)
I realise I have not had Patch Tuesday updates for several months. When I accessed / Control Panel/Security/Check for updates I received a message
Windows Updates cannot check for updates as the service is not running.
You may need to restart your computer
Restarting had no effect, just repeated the above.
How do I restart the update service which always used to operate during the "Shut down" sequence?
Everything seems to be running OK
thanks ericg

Before you try sfc /scannow, have a look at the following thread which I started back in February. I'd been having trouble with Windows Update failing to run and the thread shows how I fixed it. It's been fine ever since then. It took a bit of time, but it was worth it!

Windows Update failure on Windows 7 - Web User Forums

Try sfc /scannow if none of the other methods work. Other people have found what I did useful and I hope that you will too.

Edit: If you eventually need to run sfc /scannow, you should open a Command Prompt window as mentioned in the 1st post of the thread linked to above.

Cantrel 24-05-18 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERICG (Post 1202148)
Hi Cantrel. I clicked on start, typed sfc /scannow into search box, clicked "enter". A box appeared at top of screen for a millisecond, disappeared then nothing else happened. What am I doing wrong? I am typing
"sfc /scannow" with a space after sfc
ericg

It has to be run from an elevated cmd prompt.

Go Start - type cmd then right click on cmd when it comes up and click on Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter sfc /scannow

Enter exit when done to close the cmd window.

Madeline 24-05-18 22:52

This is a useful article on how to use sfc /scannow:

How to Use SFC Scannow to Repair Windows System Files

I don't know whether sfc /scannow would resolve the Windows Update failure problem permanently (or otherwise), but what I did earlier this year seems to have done so as it's worked perfectly for several months now. Having made that fate-tempting remark, it'll probably go wrong in June now!

ERICG 26-05-18 11:26

Hi Cantrel, Making slow progress in a state of ignorance. Win key +R gives me a command Prompt box titled Run. Typed in sfc / scannow and either "open" from box or Enter from keyboard. nothing seems to happen, no sign of me being an administrator.
Now What??
ericg

Cantrel 26-05-18 11:28

No - it has to be run from a cmd prompt run as an admin.

Go back to my Post #5 and follow those steps.

Madeline 27-05-18 00:15

@ ERICG

In case you read this, if you use the Windows key+R and get a Run box, type in cmd which will give you a Command Prompt box probably called 'Administrator: C\Windows\system32\cmd.exe - it is on our PCs. Alternatively, type cmd in the Search box and in the results right-click on cmd.exe and click 'Run as Administrator'. You should get only one result at the top under Programs - cmd.exe - and this is the one to go for as shown in the image below:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/dFSlTk.png

You should then be able to run sfc /scannow as previously described.

Cantrel 27-05-18 09:59

1 Attachment(s)
It's unusual for the Windows Update service not to start when activated, unless any of its Dependencies are also not running.

Go Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to and check the status of Windows Update - it should be as in my pic.

Click on it and then on Start top left.

If it cannot start it will give you an error message.

It only has one dependency and that is RPC but if that isn't running then you would notice other problems.

Attachment 3358

Not a very good pic but it's normal status is Manual (Triggered) and not started all of the time.