Web User Forums

Web User Forums (http://forum.webuser.co.uk/index.php)
-   Security & Privacy Help and Discussions (http://forum.webuser.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Concerns over Kapersky and the Russian connection (http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=149125)

Talsy 13-09-17 07:57

Concerns over Kapersky and the Russian connection

The Kapersky anti-virus and security suites are consistently recommended by this magazine. With recent news of US government top staff's reluctance to use the tools themselves owing to fears of Russian government infiltration what are the thoughts of readers here?

Sneakybeaky 13-09-17 08:16

Re: Concerns over Kapersky and the Russian connection

So far nobody has found a tiny shred of evidence to support the idea that KAV spies on users machines, It does what all AV programs do, and does it particularly well. It has millions of users worldwide. If anything untoward was going on them someone would have found something by now. I will continue to use it without hesitation.

FratPark 13-09-17 08:58

There are many alternatives available, like Avast Free. Personally, I have kept well clear of Russian products.

Madeline 13-09-17 20:00

This has been discussed here too:

The Russian company that is a danger to our security - Web User Forums

As I said in post #8 there
Quote:

My internet security is provided by Norton (Symantec) which is an American company. My trust level for them is on a par with my trust level for Kaspersky.
I see no reason whatsoever to avoid Russian products such as Kaspersky - it's what I'd use if for some reason I wanted to change from Norton. A lot of what I've read comes across as blinkered anti-Russian prejudice with no solid evidence to support it.

Madeline 14-09-17 00:59

The latest American reaction:

Kaspersky: US government removes Russian security software - BBC News
Quote:

The US Department of Homeland Security has told government departments and agencies to remove all security software from the Moscow-based company Kaspersky Lab from their IT systems.
Unfortunately for Kaspersky, they’re being used for some reason.

Madeline 15-09-17 00:03

From BBC News Technology:

Kaspersky: You can trust us despite US government ban - BBC News
Quote:

Eugene Kaspersky has denied that the cyber-security firm he founded is close to the Russian government and insists it poses no danger to its American customers.
I have no doubts that it's fine to trust Kaspersky.

Stewart40 15-09-17 00:26

Seems they also have enough problems within their own domain. :(

http://www.zdnet.com/article/yet-ano...83976965178021

rayinskitoo 15-09-17 09:22

I use kapersky on my mobile and my tablet and I have no intention of removing it unless my bank tells me to.

I'm more worried about what american companies do with the data that they have on me than what kapersky may or not have.

Madeline 15-09-17 20:42

Quote:

I use kapersky on my mobile and my tablet and I have no intention of removing it unless my bank tells me to.
I'm not sure that I'd remove my chosen security program even if my bank told me to - these are the people who encourage their customers to install Trusteer Rapport.

Talsy 18-09-17 08:49

Thanks for your responses. I am a member of Which and I spoke to one of their advisors. She consulted one of their computer teams who said as far as its efficacy goes it is their no.1 recommendation for doings its job until they detect otherwise.

You guys are right: Russian, US, UK - no government respects our privacy it appears.:(

I'll take advantage of the magazine's special offer with Kaspersky (yes, I spelt it wrong it thread title) when my Avast runs out soon. Avast appeared effective but could be bloody annoying with so many pop-ups and warnings which turn out to be up-sale offers.